For tax year 2015 and prior year's tax return, ReFile function doesn't apply. Please still use T1-Adj form or CRA web portal to amend tax return (Read this link for more information).
From tax year 2016, you can Re-File (Amend) an assessed T1 return; The process is like submitting Netfile or EFile again. The following conditions must be met before you can Re-File:
- CRA has completed the assessment or re-assessment of initial T1 return.
- If you are using EFile, you might need to have a valid form T1013 authorization on file for the tax payer with the CRA. So you can Re-File to amend the tax return. myTaxExpress EFile software can submit T1013 authorization online as a separate step.
To Re-File a tax return, follow these steps:
- First open the return file for ReFile, and choose menu "Start | Set tax return for Re-File".
- If you already set this return for Re-File, you will get the following warning message. In other word, you only set tax return for Re-File once in the beginning.
- It will create a new tax return file, adding "_ReFile" in the file name for Re-File purpose. The original tax return file is untouched, so you can reference the original file in the future.
You can see a new file is created for Re-File purpose. Next time, you can simply open this file, no need to use menu "Re-File" again.
- Complete the tax return as you are filing a full T1 return
- Choose menu "Start | Create NetFile/EFile" to NetFile/EFile the amended return.